UPDATED: December, 2018
If you’re looking for the best hair straightener that’s just perfect for your strands but are overwhelmed with the variety of products available in the market today, I offer this unbiased review of the Remington S8590 hair straightener. Read on and find out why this is my hair styling tool of choice for beautiful tresses.
As a former stylist, I’ve used countless hair styling products through the years. So trust me when I say that I’ve come to rely on the Remington S8590 hair straightener. I have found out that it not only functions as a tool to give my clients the best tresses for their special occasions. More than that, it also protects and nourishes their hair.
My work as a stylist entails that I work with different hair types and lengths — both a challenge and a joy on its own — but the satisfaction I felt in my work came more from the happy and grateful smiles of my clients whenever they would look in the mirror to see their newly styled hair.
For me, a quality hair straightener does all of the following:
- It is able to style tresses to perfection.
- It nourishes and keeps hair healthy.
- It achieves the hairstyle that will put a pleased smile on your face.
In this post, I will share with you my thoughts on the Remington S8590 hair straightener.
For my review of this particular hair styling tool, I used the special method I have developed for rating hair straighteners based on Amazon.com customer reviews and my own experience.
My method includes:
- Examining the key features of this product
- Weighing its pros and cons
- Assigning an Overall Quality Rating to the product
- Relying on my many years of expert experience and knowledge as a hairstylist
- Scouring relevant and quality Amazon customer reviews
- Getting in touch with people who have actually used the Remington S8590 to find out what they really think about it
What features makes the Remington S8590 top-notch?
The Remington hair straightener boasts of awesome features that keep hair healthy and pretty. These are:
- Keratin ceramic-coated plates that keep hair healthy, shiny, and pretty while keeping it straight. Keratin, the super protein that makes hair strong, is infused into each strand with each use.
- Heat protection sensor that adjusts according to your hair’s quality and texture so you don’t end up with burnt hair. The sensor is intuitive enough to detect your hair’s moisture levels and adjusts the heat as needed.
- Five hair iron settings that are displayed digitally, including 230°C high heat
- Ultra-fast heating time for on-the-go hair styling. It heats up within 15 seconds!
- Heat-resistant storage pouch
- Floating plates that ensure that the hair iron coats hair sections with evenly distributed pressure
- Straight Up The Keratin Therapy Pro Straightener provides excellent hair protection while making tresses ultra-straight from morning till night
- Keratin Protective Technology that’s built into this hair iron to prevent hair from breakage and damage — by as much as 57% more than other hair styling tools!
- Keratin Micro Conditioners that boosts hair strength and vitality
You can also check out complete user-reviews on Amazon:
What are its pros?
Here the top 5 advantages of using the Remington S8590.
1. It heats up fast. For those mornings when you’re in a hurry to get to work or school, this Remington hair iron does its job of delivering straight and shiny tresses pronto.
This means you don’t have to wake up at the crack of dawn just to achieve fabulous-looking and ultra-sleek tresses. Because it heats up fast, it can get to work pretty quickly.
In my many years as a hairstylist, I’ve dealt with clients who are in a hurry to have their hair styled. With Remington S8590 hair straightener, I didn’t have to worry about angry, impatient, and dissatisfied clients.
2. The keratin effect of this hair gadget is real. It doesn’t dry out or damage your hair. All you get is perfectly straight, keratin-infused healthy hair.
One of my longtime clients was happy to report to me that this hair iron miraculously kept her hair straight for two whole days. And she even had thick, curly hair!
3. It doesn’t weigh like a rock. For women’s delicate fingers, this is perfect! It’s so lightweight that straightening and styling hair is a cinch.
4. The temperature control is adjustable, depending on your requirements. This is a new innovation among hair straighteners. Now, you have full control on how hot or cold you want it to be, even if you need something as hot as 230 degrees Celcius.
5. This product is also completely safe. Thanks to its automatic shut-off feature when it is left unused after about an hour, your home or salon is kept completely safe and hazard-free.
What are its cons?
As for this product’s cons, I have only two quibbles. I couldn’t find anything else wrong with this product aside from these two points. With such a great product like this one, I actually had to force myself to think of its not-so-good features.
- First of all, when some women use this product at home, they complain of a smell resembling burnt rubber emanating from the product when they use this. It could happen, that’s true. BUT (and I mean BUT), when using the right settings and if the product is used properly according to the manual, then you shouldn’t encounter any more problems.
- My second quibble with this hair product is that it tends to catch some hair sections on the strip down the middle. However, this is a small matter since it occurs very rarely. Just be careful and gentle in handling your hair so you wouldn’t have any mishaps.
The final verdict
My Overall Quality rating is 4.6/5 stars which is pretty darn good, especially with the price tag in mind.
Now, are you convinced that the Remington S8590 is the best hair straightener in the market today?
As a hairstylist-turned-blogger, I’ve had my share of good and bad hair straighteners. And the Remington S8590 is the best, thus far. It styles your tresses to salon-perfect hair, and at the same time, it protects your hair with its fabulous keratin feature.
My quibbles with this product are not major deal breakers as long as you follow the manual instructions and handle your hair gently.
It is hard to go wrong with such a nifty, nice-looking, reasonably priced, and feature-packed hair straightener. So get this best hair straightener in your hair care collection now!
Best hair straighteners for normal hair
It’s been almost a year now since we started this category as per users request. In the last 5 updates to this guide the HSI hair straightener has been voted to be:
- best hair straightener for normal hair
- best priced in the category
The only issue that we continue to see with the winner in this category is that (probably because of the price) it’s often unavailable.
Before we move on to take a closer look at each of the 3 top rated hair straighteners for normal hair, let’s see the list and their ratings.
|HSI Professional 1 Tourmaline Hair Straightener|
|TS-2 Millennium Flat Iron|
|Remington S9520 Salon Collection Ceramic Hair Straightener|
Now that you have glanced at these three lifesavers in the jungle of a market, let’s give each of them some more attention, so you can get better acquainted with one of your future best friends.
Think of it as the season finale to the Bachelorette, only you would be choosing a flat iron you would be spending most of your life with.
What we’ll do in this guide is:
- Summarize what each company is saying about their hair straightener.
- Look at what other happy or dissatisfied customers are saying about each product and take their words into consideration.
- You will get my 100% honest opinion about each product we are reviewing today. Hopefully that we will be of some help in your choice making.
Anyway, let’s meet our winner and the two runner-ups, shall we?
HSI Professional 1 Tourmaline Hair Straightener + Glove, Pouch & Travel Size Argan Oil Treatment (leave in) included (FREE)
HSI fact sheet states that:
- The iron can be efficiently used in several different ways, for curling, straightening or flipping your hair
- You can precisely adjust the temperature to what suits your hair type best
- This flat iron can make beautiful hairdos out of frizzy and unattractive hair
- The plates are one inch thick for added durability
- The voltage is adjustable
- The plates are just narrow enough to help you with those disobedient bangs
- These ceramic/tourmaline ion plates are so revolutionary that they make getting ready much shorter than it used to be
- If you order this hair straightener, you are getting an additional pouch and a glove free of charge
- Comes with a sample of a sample of HSI Argan Oil
This all sounds pretty good, especially having the price in mind, but we need to aware that this in not the “meat” of our review – it’s the opinions of people that use it.
Let’s see what they said:
- My wife says it was easy to use and she got apparent professional results doing it herself.
- I really loved how good they straightened and curled. They gave me beautiful curls and when I wanted my hair straight and it straightened right up.
- By far these are the best flat irons I’ve ever had.
- They didn’t burn my hair or leave that burnt smell. I plan on purchasing from them in the future.
- Ironed quickly and efficiently
- I received my item in two days.
- Took away frizz and worked on my stubborn hair quickly
- I am an African American with medium long hair that is kinky/curly and thick after using this flat iron along with the argon oil my hair is left shiny soft and incredibly healthy looking and soft to the touch
- I used it to curl my hair and I have to say it works better than a curling iron. I love it!
- The plates are smooth and well constructed, no hair-pulling whatsoever…
- Not ONE of my hairs was ripped out in the plates
- Swiveling cord so no tangles/twists
- If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, this flat iron is the one to choose
- No burnt smell
- I give this flat iron a five star because for such an affordable price this is a quality product
- Did not snag or tug at my hair
- This came in a timely fashion. The extras (glove, oil, pouch) much appreciated
Clearly, that is a long list of positive experiences, and these are chosen carefully out of thousands more.
Let’s see what the negative ones had to say:
- My review was about the iron not getting hot enough and was not working properly (my hair would not stay straight). The next day after I contacted them. I got an email from Jessica from customer service department letting me know that she had read the review and she told me it’s very unusual but I must have received a defective one. I’m still waiting for the replacement…
- I was close to sending it back because I couldn’t turn it on, so I forgot about it for a couple of days. Then I decided to give it one more shot. The reset button was hard to press. But once I got it going it heated up very fast and my hair stayed straight for two days after.
- I bought this for my wife for Christmas. She tried it the same day. Apparently I didn’t know she wanted it a certain heat. It only gets to 410 degrees she likes 450, which I had no clue about because I’m a guy…they could’ve done a better job of describing the item…
My personal summary and Overall Rating
With the 1000s of reviews on Amazon and with most of them being positive, we are starting to get a clear picture about why this iron has been on top for almost a year now.
Overall Quality Rating 4.9/5.
Its number one advantage to me seems to be that is doesn’t pull your hair. And we all know how important that is. Imagine getting traumatized every day by an appliance just because you want to look your best.
Another big forte is its unparalleled speed, both when it comes to heating up and the straightening.
The CONs here are not as strong and universal for me to find a true quality issue. Most of the negatives are, in my opinion, subjective and clearly individual cases – people who got efficient help from the customer service, which, again, is recommendable.
Again, while it’s priced this low, it’s a true bargain.
Off to the next one…
TS-2 Millennium Flat Iron (Professional)
Basic info from the company:
- Heats up rapidly in just 30 seconds
- 9 feet swivel cord
- This product features 1 inch Nano reflect titanium plates
- The temperature control is programmable
- Weighs only 1.1 pounds
- It has a safety and longevity feature, with 60 minutes autos hut offs
You can check out more user-ratings and prices on Amazon:
Again, sounds good, but let’s move on to see what the customers are saying – starting with the PROs:
- Right off the bat this flat iron comes with a 3 year warranty!
- I was looking for a new flat iron to replace my expensive brand name one that broke in a million pieces when it was dropped. I feel like I found one of the best irons out there with the TS-2 Millennium Professional Flat Iron
- I have to say after using these, I said goodbye to the salon
- It is lightweight and the swivel cord makes it easy to use from any angle
- This product has so far been awesome and sweet to use
- The swivel cord makes angling simple.
- Another great feature for travelers is the DUAL VOLTAGE ability
- The Nano plates feel so silky smooth
- This iron heats up really quickly and has a nice range of temperature (235°F to 450°F), which is both lower and higher than my old iron
- The rounded top makes it possible to get closer to the roots than most flat irons
- There were no fly away hairs and it felt silky smooth
- TS-2 has adjustable heat control. It’s light weight and the smooth, flush heating elements create NO drag or snagging on the hair
- The mirror plates make for one smooth glide, and the surface being anti-bacterial is a big plus for me…
- I love the fact that it heats to a high temperature, but does not cause the hair to smoke when used
- It’s slick, easy to handle with well balanced weight, has programmable temperature control.
- It heats up quickly and indicates when the iron has heated up. It also has a good range of temperatures
- It simply puts the other irons that we have to shame.
Now let’s take a look at the CONs:
- One thing that was a minor peeve: the digital read-out for the temperature is in Celsius. The product heats to 450 degrees F but the read out will be in Celsius. Not a bother for other countries but not so much for myself born and raised in America. The conversion isn’t second nature in our household.
- Longer than any iron I previously owned, it does have a better reach than most but not the best choice for travelling
- The only thing I don’t love is that I sometimes turn it off accidentally due to it having a button instead of a switch…
- Mine arrived with a crack on the upper handle…
My opinion and final ratings
This hair straightener is somewhat different than the HSI. That doesn’t make it clearly better or worse. It’s more accurate to say that it’s suiting a different sort of a customer.
Final overall rating 4.8/5.
It is clearly a great piece to own if you tend to get ready in a hurry. Perhaps you are way-to-busy with your job or family to have too much time for doing your hair, or you are a young urbanite living a hectic life who wants a perfect hairdo in just a jiffy.
It is clearly not the right choice for those who cannot get used to temperature in Celsius, which is a shame, since that is the only relative “drawback” this flat iron has.
Remington S9520 Salon Collection Ceramic Hair Straightener (wide pearl-infused plates)
What the company says – the fact sheet:
- Reaches up to 450 degree high heat previously available only in salons
- Contains up to 15 times ceramic the competition is offering in their similar products
- Features the pearl ceramic technology which ensures you get the smoothest salon-like finish know
- Boasts an automatic shut-off system
- It beats its competitor’s rival by 8 times smoother glide
With this very ambitious and confident description, I couldn’t wait to see what real users of the product had to say and whether it is compatible with the company’s statement. Let us get to that.
- The results I got from this straightener were awesome! I got my hair done within 30 minutes, compared to an hour I use to spend with other straighteners. It heats up very quickly and gets the job done quickly too
- The hair moves smoothly and quickly through the iron, no snags or pulls. Hair is smooth and frizz free
- The guide that comes with it tells you which temps are good for different types of hair so you don’t damage your hair
- I am leaving for Europe on Friday and it is world voltage meaning I can use it overseas
- A swivel cord allows for easy movement all around the head
- This one does the job in minutes
- When using the straightener to curl my hair, my hair held shape and the straightener created the most lovely natural looking waves
- The instruction book was clear and concise and the product itself was pleasantly intuitive
- My hair quickly straightened and held the shape
- My hair is thick, curly/wavy and gets frizzy very easily, plus it never looks shiny. I quickly ran this through my hair and my hair looks BEAUTIFUL
- The iron heats up quickly and allows for subtle variances in temperature
- I can even manage to look like I have healthy, shiny hair using this
- I guess you get what you pay for, this iron died on me after only 3 months…
- The handle lock is a little stiff…
- Leaves some volume: while this may be a plus for somebody with thinner hair
- The digital display is not easy to read, not the best design…
Clearly, Remington is a big name in beauty products and electronics, from hair dryers to some of the best leg shaver made. There is no denying it. And for those who prefer to buy a brand name, this will mean something.
If you are all about the heat and speed, this product might be for you, since it reaches the highest heat mark in seconds.
It is rated lowest of the 3 – 4.5/5, but it’s still one of the three best hair irons for normal hair.
In contrast to the HSI, this product was made to be quality for a budget. You should bear that in mind when making a decision.
It’s becoming increasingly hard to writing these final thoughts without sounding biased since “the reign” of the HSI started.
But there is no way around it, yet again, the HSI is the superior product and there’s no way around it. And while the other two flat irons might be better suited for specific niches of the market, the HSI still provides the biggest bang for your buck.
If you have questions or thoughts, don’t hesitate to share them in the comments or by emailing me from the contact page.
Stay pretty and choose wisely,