Interview – Meet Kim Snyder of OverallBeauty.com
1.Tell us a little about yourself
I have been married for over 30 years. I am handicapped and the mom of two amazing sons.
I started out selling on the web in 2004 with three simple products. I am still selling two of the those two items, Magic Lash Eyelash Enhancer and Black Magic Mascara.
2. What made you start blogging and what’s the story behind OverallBeauty.com?
I was in a car accident in 2003 and I needed something to do besides sit around and be depressed about what had happened. I took a online course in Web Design that lead to me starting OverallBeauty.com. So, I have to say that having that first car accident was a good thing after all.
I started blogging around 2006 just when it started being something that people did. As the web got older I went from just blogging about what I had to offer to doing reviews for other brands. It has been a blast for sure!
3. Can you remember the moment when you realized that aesthetics is your passion? If yes, tell us more…
As I got older I noticed that my skin was starting to break out from my favorite products mostly blushes. In fact I once tried a mineral powder foundation and my face itched so badly I couldn’t take it off fast enough! It was after that, I started doing research and I found that many of the same ingredients (fillers) could be found in major beauty brands.
There are so many fillers in major brands I am not surprised people would react badly to it. I started Overall Beauty Minerals from the beginning as a vegan mineral brand. I knew what I didn’t want in my brand of mineral makeup including cosmetic dyes. If I was having such a bad reactions to blushes/eye shadows/foundations I knew I can’t be the only one. I started out in late 2006 just offering eye shadows, and a few blushes.
I been slowly building up my line. Now I am getting asked a lot about offering mineral powder foundation that is vegan as well. So foundation is in the works at this time.
4. If you had to choose one, what would be your favorite accessory?
I have to use a eyelash curler with my mascara. My favorite products would be vegan lip balm.
5. Do you have favorite brands in different areas of your “beauty life”?
I do have a few. I love Pro Natural haircare product line. I love indie brand nail polishes!(Way too many to name). Mineral Fusion nail polish remover as well as Karma Spa organic nail polish remover.
My skincare always has a face serum of some style by Reviva Labs. I love their product called Light Skin Peel which is one of the best exfoliaters I have ever used!
6. Do you have a personal wish list at the moment? If you do, how did the products get there?
A good affordable mascara. I know there has to be one out there that is just right for me.
Sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Looking for a good hair treatment I can use with my hair dryer that won’t weigh my hair down.
Argan oil skincare products. I did a few product reviews along the way, as well as buy brands that are based on argan oil.
There is one brand on etsy that as the most amazing face serum made with organic rosehip oil and organic argan oil.
7. Please give us your 5 main tips for the the girls out there trying to find their “look”.
Not in this order but these are tips I would recommend.
- Be yourself!
- Get your eyebrows waxed, threaded whichever works for you. So that you know what your eyebrows true shape is and it makes it easier for you to do them yourself. Well groomed eyebrows can do so much for your face
- Don’t try to change your face by contouring with foundation darker than you wear now. You will find that is way too much work to do every morning. Unless you are a makeup artist there is a good chance you may not be able to do it correctly and that will really take away from your face overall.
- Focus on a feature, by choosing to either emphasize your eyes or lips. Don’t do both because that is too much.
- Not sure how to apply makeup? There are a lot amazing bloggers who show case amazing looks and many have tutorials oh how they did the look.
8. What are your favorite beauty websites/blogs?
A few I have followed for years!
9. A message to your fans.
Be yourself most of all. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Buy a new beauty product that is trendy to add to your makeup bag. Change out your mascara every three months no matter what you paid for it. Clean out your makeup drawer ever 6 months or so.
IF you can’t remember when you wore it last throw it away. Don’t be a drama queen. It takes away from your natural beauty by looking or acting catty. Take the high road and make them come up to your level instead of you dropping down to theirs.
Remember the choices you make today have shape your tomorrows.