1. Tell us a little about yourself
Im originaly a small town girl from Walla walla, Washington. I’ve known I was going to do hair since I was a little girl cutting my dolls hair. I’ve always known I wanted to take my profession as far as I could so after graduating high school I moved to portlnad oregon to pursue beauty school. After I graduated cosmetology school I couldn’t handle the rain and follow a friend out to AZ where I currently reside.
I started my hairdressing career at Toni and guy for 6 years. I’ve always known I wanted to educate so I quickly back their Educational Director. Then I decided to go work with them over seas in Galway ireland and quickly after being there the love of my life beckoned me home. I then help a friend of mine open a boutique salon in Old Town Scottsdale. After starting to have children, I started realizing how much I missed educating. So I started to educate the everyday women and stylist through my blog. A successful blog, husband and two kids later is where I’m at today.
My extensive background includes six years at Toni & Guy including a position as their Educational Director, working with T&G in Galway, Ireland and most recently helping one of my closest friends and business partners open up a salon called Salon Stylush in Scottsdale, Arizona.
My work has been published in 944, Java Magazine, Dwell, Lifestyles Magazine and featured on TLC, Readers Digest, Fox 10, NBC and Channel 3 AZ as well as on the Runway at Phoenix Fashion Week, Scottsdale Fashion Week & Scottsdale Wedding Walk.
2. What made you start blogging and what’s the story behind TheConfessionsofaHairstylist.com?
After I had my first child Magnolia, I was at home a lot and needed a creative outlet while not working inside the salon.
I would always get questions from the everyday women on different/quick ways they could style there hair so I decided to launch a 30day hair challenge and blog about it.
I did so well that I kept up with it ever since and its turned into something I would have never imagined.
3. Can you remember the moment when you realized that hair styling is your passion? If yes, tell us more…
Yes, It was when I was a young girl. My father was such a great sport and would let me play with his hair and I just loved it.
Also, in elementary school I remember wanting to take the unpopular girl Missy to my home and give her a makeover because I just thought how wonderful she would feel after a new look. I was the age 7 or something so that of course didn’t happen, but I knew that was what I wanted to do.
4. Do you have a hair style that you like working on most? Is there something that puts a smile on your face when you hear a customer request…
I do also of balayage/ wavy lobs but what I love most is edgy haircuts.
I like the pixie cuts or if anyone wants a fun up style or braid.
5. Do you have favorite brands in hair styling products?
I love all styling products!! I have my favorites in each line.
I love Kerastase’s elixir to smooth flyways, I love KMS play dirty spray wax for texture, shine and separation and I’ve been obsessing over big sexy hair spray clay.
6. Do you personally prefer classic hair styles or enjoy following trends?
I enjoy following trends and pushing the trends.
If braids are popular I try to find a way to make them a bit edgier and different.
7. Please give us your main tips for the the girls out there trying to find their “look”
- Find your celebrity twin! Celebrities are always on top of the trends and have their own unique style. I suggest finding one that has similar tone of skin and face shape and try some of there current or past hairstyles.
- Do research. Get on pinterest and see whats trending and pin looks you like.
- When trying to achieve an effortless style, don’t put too much effort into it. I find when women want a tousled curl, they try to hard to make it perfect.
8. What are your favorite hair styling websites/blogs?
Hair romance because she focuses on curly hair.
9. A message to your fans.
Thank you for your support and helping me grow. Im so honored to share my secrets and love for hair with you guys each and every month!