1. Tell us a little about yourself
I’m 28! I’m married to an amazing guy.
I am in the Idaho Air National Guard, and as a civilian I work in the development office of a not-for-profit hospital.
I blog on the side to share my story and path through life.
2. What made you start blogging and what’s the story behind Auniesauce.com?
I began blogging in 2010 when I started my beauty blog, LastLash.
I then created No Naked Nails and Bye Bye Beehive — all beauty blogs — and felt the need for something more. Aunie Sauce was born as a place to put everything — the big, the little, and whatever else I wanted to share.
I consider “The Sauce” like the toppings on the cake. It’s everything that makes life great!
3. Can you remember the moment when you realized that hair styling is your passion? If yes, tell us more…
I remember realizing how damaged my hair was from constant highlighting, teasing, and heat processing! It was then that I began my blog Bye Bye Beehive in an effort to journal a year without any products, heat processing or color treatments.
My hair became healthy and long, it was wonderful! I grew to love my natural hair during that year and have enjoyed styling it and coming up with healthy-hair-friendly styles along the way.
4. Do you have a hair style that you like working on most? Is there something that puts a smile on your face when you hear a customer request…
I suppose I’m best known for my “friar tuck.”
It’s a style that’s been around the block for a couple years, but my tutorial on it is quite popular.
It’s a natural and heat-free method of curling your hair.
I love hearing people say that it worked for them and when they show off photos of their beautiful, headband curls!
5. Do you have favorite brands in hair styling products?
I’m in love with Aveda’s natural products.
They have a volume line called Pure Abundance.
I love every product in it!
6. Do you personally prefer classic hair styles or enjoy following trends?
I’m a very, very simple hairstyle girl.
If I can get out of the shower, air dry my hair, and then throw it up into something chic — that’s the way to go.
If it’s a complicated style/trend or something that will take more than 3-4 minutes, I’m over it.
I’m big into fitness and a fast-paced lifestyle, so I don’t tend to take long when styling my hair.
I’ve truly grown to love a more natural, carefree look!
7. Please give us your 5 main tips for the the girls out there trying to find their “look”
- Go au natural! Try only washing your hair and leaving the heat/products/processing out of it for even just a week. Revel in that inner beauty that your hair will give you!
- Use photos. I always take a photo to my hairstylist to show her exactly what I’m thinking. She then gives me her opinion and offers suggestions and we go for it.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things. Want bangs? Try it! Want to go fire-engine red? Give it a shot!
- Ask for help! If you can’t understand how to curl your hair with a straightener, go have a stylist show you how it’s done, or watch tutorials on YouTube. These days, there’s a tutorial for everything!
- Practice, practice practice. If you can’t nail a fishtail braid on your first try, keep trying! More than likely, you’ll figure it out or find a new style you love along the way.
8. What are your favorite hair styling websites/blogs?
I love The Small Things blog and Hair Romance!
9. A message to your fans.
Thank you for your support & encouragement along the way! I wouldn’t be where I am (or still blogging for that matter) if it weren’t for you!! Thank you!