UPDATED: December, 2018
Those of you who follow my work, know how big of a fan of this brand I am. If you are like-minded and looking for the best Paul Mitchell hair straightener, please join me in this guide as we research which ones of these babies might be the choice for you.
The ratings I am about to present are a result of my “battle-tested” rating method that relies on:
- Polls I take among my pears from the hairstyling world (in this case 30 of them)
- Customer reviews and opinions in five different quality aspects
- My personal experience with the products
So, let’s dive right in – in spite of the industry standards they are setting, not all Paul Mitchel products are created equal.
Two of them stand out – and one of them is almost twice less expensive, so we had an obvious winner in the last 5 updates to this guide – it’s the PAUL MITCHEL NEURO SMOOTH.
But before we move on – let’s take a look at the complete table of best flat irons the company ever produced and their respective ratings.
Results table – TOP Paul Mitchell hair straighteners at the moment
|Neuro Smooth hair straightener|
|Paul Mitchell Limited Edition - Ion Smooth Glitter Express|
|Paul Mitchell Candy Apple Express Ion Smooth 1.25" Flat Iron|
|Express ion smooth hair straightener||
Ok, now that we’ve seen our top contenders, I believe it’s time to get to know them a little better.
My method and outlook of this guide
I like to do a little thing called overall quality rating based on customer reviews. This entails reading all of the Paul Mitchell hair straightener reviews I could find and grading certain aspects of the products. Then I’ll make a list of top 5 hair irons with the highest average grade and lay it out here for you.
Introduction of the top 5 is the first thing that awaits you, followed by a more specific product introduction, through their digest reviews.
Proper introduction through digest reviews
What is a digest review?
It’s a mini review of a certain product. It begins by showing the basic product specification as given by the manufacturer. It follows it up with some of the good and the bad user experiences, just to put that given info into perspective. Pretty straightforward, don’t you think? And effective.
Now that we’ve cleared that, we can finally begin our in depth analysis of these products.
Neuro smooth hair straightener
I ran into a bit of trouble with this one since my main source (Amazon) had no specification from the manufacturer at the time of writing this reviews, but I managed to put something together from other sources.
- 1.25 inch premium strong isotherm titanium plates, perfect for creating waves, flips, and straightening
- Very personalized experience
- Heats up in about 30 seconds, and the heat is spread 100 percent evenly
- SmartSense ultra sensitive micro chip recording the temperature state 50 times per second
- 2 year warranty
Not bad, considering I had almost nothing to work with. But let’s see what the customers had to say about it.
- When I went to cut my hair, I saw my hair stylist use this, and it left my hair looking amazing. It was so shiny and silky smooth, I just had to have this Paul Mitchell hair iron. So, I started my search online, and I got it. It’s well worth the money, but be careful, as there are a lot of fakes out there. Make sure you register your iron online, once you get it, and the official site of Paul Mitchell Company will tell you if it’s a fake. I’m super satisfied with it, and I highly recommend it
- My friend, hair dresser, bought this one to use at work. She highly recommended it, so I got one. I use it daily and it doesn’t burn my hair. It heats up to 450 degrees and really fast. I just turn it on, and before I know it, it’s ready to go. I’ve read some reviews about this Paul Mitchell hair straightener before buying, and they were almost all positive. I have an extremely thick hair, and this little guy straightens it in just one go following the comb. It gives my hair shiny finish, without any frizz, and it’s a mush have for us everyday straighteners
- It really offers some salon quality performance. It’s much better for me than ceramic plates. It works fast and operates with some intense heat, so if your hair is a bit thinner or fragile, I would suggest using the lower heat settings
- I must say it. It’s the best Paul Mitchell hair straightener ever! Been dabbling with this brand for a long time, and this particular model just blew me away. It heats up almost instantly, it’s very easy to use, and handles really well. My hair is very thick and coarse, but this Paul Mitchell hair iron really puts it in its place. It’s the best choice if you straighten your hair every day as it doesn’t damage it at all. Healthy, shiny, silky smooth, and straight hair is all you can expect from this device
- The plates on my Paul Mitchell hair iron didn’t connect. I have a very thin hair, and it was almost impossible for me to do anything with it. I contacted customer support and requested a replacement since I was 99% sure the one I got was defective. They were really forthcoming and helpful though, and I got a new one sent. I’m waiting for it to arrive as I write this
Final Quality Rating
Overall Quality Rating of 4.9/5 – the top rated flat iron by Paul Mitchell in the last 5 updates to this guide.
Click here for more reviews and extra details found on Amazon
As we said just a moment ago, we’ll begin every digest review with a specification directly from the manufacturer, concerning product’s basic properties.
So, let’s hear it:
- Plates fused with express ion complex, for speedy straightening and damage prevention
- The plates are infused with unique silicon grips, allowing them to glide over your hair for faster styling, easy smoothing, exceptional shine and better control
- Featuring 1” cushion plates, evenly heated by solid ceramic heaters
- Seamless smoothing ensured by beveled edges
- Flyaways and static control provided by negative super-charged ions
That’s a lot of basic info. The more the merrier, I gather. More material for later.
Let’s see some of the pleasant things the users had to say about this Paul Mitchell hair iron:
- I don’t know where to begin, so may good things to say about this product. I use it a couple of times a week, for straightening, but also for curling my hair. My hair is very long, and I wasn’t convinced I’ll enjoy the silicon grips, but I do, so much. I’ve been using it for over 6 months now, and it still looks brand new. It almost doesn’t take any time to heat up, and the temperature switch stays where I put it. Great buy and an awesome product
- Best Paul Mitchell hair straightener I’ve ever had!! It really feels like a professional hair iron. It’s very reliable and sturdy and has a nice long cord. I have 3 different Paul Mitchell hair irons, and this one takes the cake in my book. My hair doesn’t get stuck somewhere, or get damaged by the heat. All the contrary, it looks shiny, beautiful, and it’s so soft to the touch. And it gets my hair all flat in a very few strokes. Just beautiful
- My hair is out of this world curly and unruly. To top all that off, it’s also pretty delicate, so I can’t use just any hair iron that’s out there. This was a lifesaver, it doesn’t do any damage to my hair whatsoever, and it actually gets it all straight like I wouldn’t believe. It heats up quickly and evenly, and it takes me much less time to get my hair done than before. One passing is all it takes to make my curls go away. The cord is long enough, do I can get to in front of any mirror at my place without a problem
- I already own a green and black Paul Mitchell hair iron. I bought it some 3 years ago, and it’s still going strong. I wanted to get another one, just in case. I’ve read a lot of reviews about Paul Mitchell hair straighteners, and since I already had such a lovely experience with the brand, it was only natural I’d go for it again. I use the highest setting constantly, and it never damaged my hair in any way. It leaves it so smooth and shiny, and, most importantly perfectly straight. Will stick to this brand for as long as they make products as good as this one
- I can’t believe it takes just about 10 minutes to get my hair completely done. It used to take like forever with my previous hair iron. I use it in between washings too, just for some quick touch-ups, and that takes almost no time at all. My hair is shoulder length, very thick and frizzy, and this Paul Mitchell hair iron just owns it
Time for some less than pleasant user experiences:
- I’m confused by the indicator light. I don’t understand how it works, or what it’s supposed to tell me. It just keeps on flashing, whether the iron is already hot or just heating up. I don’t get it
- I really wished this Paul Mitchell hair iron had the auto shut-off feature. I left it on a couple of times by accident, and it would be such a relief not having to care if I left it on or not…
Overall Quality Rating
Overall Quality Rating of 4.8/5 speaks volumes, especially with the only point being deducted for price.
If you’re really into this baby, but just not quite there yet, you can find loads of extra details on Amazon:
Check it out >>
Paul Mitchell Limited Edition – Ion Smooth Glitter Express
We know how this works by now. The manufacturer gets to go first:
- the ceramic plates are fused to minimize hair damage
- heats up to 400 degrees in seconds
- edges are beveled for straight lines free of demarcation
- 1.25 inches ceramic cushioned plates
- Even heat distributing provided by solid ceramic heaters
- Plates fused with express ion complex
- 9-foot swivel cord
PROs are our next destination:
- It’s an amazing product! You can just feel the quality while holding it in your hand. It’s just the right size for every job I need it to do. I don’t have to spend hours straightening my hair anymore. It’s all over in a matter of minutes now
- Well made and very durable. I have it for some time now, and I’ve put it through a lot of abuse. I took it traveling with me a lot, and it even fell to the ground a couple of times. It’s indestructible, as far as my experience goes. It takes some time to heat up to its max temperature, but it’s well worth it. The heat is spread evenly, and it’s very gentle to my hair. It doesn’t dry it out, or leave any damage of any kind
- My hair is just impossible to manage. Or WAS impossible, should I say. It’s very thick, unruly and with a lot of frizz. Just your classic nightmare. This Paul Mitchell hair iron just lets me straighten it out very fast and very effectively. It’s all done in just a single passing, and it stays straight even the next day. I am overjoyed with this purchase, and I recommend it to everyone with my nightmarish hair type
- It’s very easy to use, and I didn’t burn my finger once. The outside of this Paul Mitchell hair iron remains quite cool, so my burnt fingers are the thing of the past. It features a nice long cord, so I can reach anyplace in my apartment without any problems. My hair has never been this straight, and there’s a beautiful silky and shiny finish, as an added bonus. I’m super happy with it, and intend to buy another one to keep at my boyfriend’s place
- It’s somewhat pricey. I’m very satisfied with it, but it was an impact my budget will feel for a while
- This Paul Mitchell hair iron had a sharp smell of plastic the first couple of times I turned it on. I was afraid it will be a permanent thing but fortunately it wasn’t…
Final Quality Score – Overall rating
Overall Quality Rating of 4.4/5.
Take a peek at Amazon to see why ladies love this model >>
Paul Mitchell Candy Apple Express Ion Smooth 1.25″ Flat Iron
One company’s specification coming right up:
- Limited edition set – Candy Apple flat iron and complementary brush
- just 60 seconds to heat up to 400 F
- 1.25 inches ceramic cushioned plates featuring beveled edges
- Far infrared and negative ion technology
- 9 foot long cord covered in smooth cloth
- I like Paul Mitchell hair iron far better than my old Chi. It doesn’t break my hair and leaves it shiny and smooth. I love the temperature control, and the LCD display is more than useful
- I’m an African American with a very long hair. You can only imagine what I’ve been through trying to get it all straight. I’ve heard about this iron from a friend and decided to get it. I was surprised at how lightweight it is, and how quickly it heats up. It smooths my hair perfectly and almost effortlessly, which I didn’t think was possible. The best thing is that my hair doesn’t frizz up in the next couple of hours as it did using my previous Walmart iron
- It arrived a day sooner than expected, and it was very nicely and securely packaged. I bought it off of Amazon, and I only have words of praise for their supplier here. They made this a very enjoyable buying experience
- Great Paul Mitchell hair iron! My hair is relaxed, and it glides through it without a hitch. Temperature control is a feature I really enjoy as it gives you so many more options. There’s no pulling or tugging of my hair, which is a blessing. One more thing is that my hair doesn’t have that burnt smell after I’m done with it. Simply fantastic
- The only complaint I have is that the cord tangles rather easily. A bit annoying at times, but certainly, not a deal breaker
Overall Quality Rating
Solid Overall Quality Rating of 4.6/5 and great value for money in this straightener.
Read more user ratings on Amazon by following the link below:
Read More >>
Express ion smooth hair straightener
Let’s see our final product introduction:
- Plates fused with express ion complex, for speedy straightening and damage prevention
- Featuring 1.25” cushion plates, evenly heated by solid ceramic heaters
- Demarcation lines prevented by beveled edges
- Scalp-close straightening enabled by slim design of the plates
- Variable temperature settings
PROs, one last time:
- My hair is very wavy, and this Paul Mitchell hair iron makes it all smooth and very soft to the touch. It also doesn’t waste any time heating up, as it only takes seconds
- I had the same straightener before, and it lasted a staggering 5 and a half years. It only broke cause I kept on wrapping the cord around the body of the straightener. I got another one, and I have no intention of changing anything. It just glides through my hair like no other
- I’ve been searching the web for the best Paul Mitchell hair straightener for a while now. I knew the brand but not a model. Once I came across this one, I knew that was it. I use it daily to straighten my coarse, thick, curly hair, and I couldn’t be more happy. I would suggest this model to every daily straighter out there
- No hair damage. Silky and shiny hair after the straightening session. No pulling on my hair whatsoever, just a smooth sail from the roots down. An I can really get close to the scalp, so no need for additional smaller hair iron, to touch up what this one couldn’t do. These are just some of the things I like about it, there’s much more, and I wouldn’t change it for anything
- It works really fine, but there are two little chips on my iron. I’m not sure if I should send it back
- I have a very long hair, and this Paul Mitchell hair iron was just a bit too short for me
Overall Quality Rating
Great Overall Quality Rating of 4.6/5.
Amazon’s got you covered if you want to go beyond this guide and read more ratings, PROS, and CONs >>
What are the best heat hair protectant products for hair straightening?
OK, so I finally got around to updating this guide on choosing the right heat protectant to resolve problems for our hair that might arise from hair straightening.
This is what I did:
- I asked 20 of my esteemed fellow hairstylist to give their recommendations and rate products
- I found the best and presented them here with their respective ratings
- In the rest of the article, I explained the basics of choosing the right heat protectant
So, before we get to make fun decisions like going darker for this season or choosing a hat that’s going to suit our day-old hair best, we need to make sure that our precious hair is protected and it remains or becomes rich and luscious.
So, ladies, here are the latest results of the experts poll about best heat protectants on the market today:
|HSI Professional Thermal Protector 450 With Argan Oil||
|Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Breakage Thermal||
|TRESemme Thermal CreationsHeat||
Let’s move on to explain general facts you need to know about heat protectants.
What are heat protectants anyway?
I know we all talk about them a lot like we know what they are, but most of us really doesn’t understand the products. Let me just tell you a word or two about them really quickly, and then we can move on.
They are basically products that minimally contain dimethicone and cyclomethicone in any shame mean or form. Most of our well-known treatment sprays, leave-in conditioners, straightening serums, setting lotions and blow-out foams combine some essential ingredients with these two silicones in order to create what is widely known as a heat protectant.
Let’s hear for these two bad boys:
- Cyclomethicone – It’s a clear silicone that, once deposited in your hair adds a silky-smooth feel to it. It’s quick to evaporate, and it helps in transferring other ingredients of the product into the shaft of the hair (we’re talking oils and other nutrients)
- Dimethicone – It’s used in detangling products and conditioners. It makes the hair much smoother and easier to comb-through. It also makes your hair look shinier after styling since it coats the strands
They are both FDA approved, and can be safely used on you hair or skin. That’s why the hair products that interest us here are abundant with these materials. Silicones are compounds that are man-made, and work by covering your hair with a coating that’s waterproof, very thin, and heat-resistant.
Silicones have three main purposes:
- They reduce the porosity of our hair, which in turn makes it less susceptible to outside humidity after the styling is done
- It reduces the loss of moisture your hair undergoes after the styling process. We’re talking about harmful dehydrating influences such as bleaching agents usage during the process of coloring, dehydration, over-exposure to elements that can be more than harmful such as chlorine treated water or the sun
- It serves as a lubricant for your hair’s surface. Meaning your hair will detangle easier and feel much smoother to the touch
Some basic info on heat styling
In order for products that I’m about to list in this article to reach their full potential, let me give you some quick info about heat styling in general.
If the budget is somewhat a concern and let’s face it, it almost always is to some degree, pick an affordable hair straightener with ceramic coating over the plates. Be sure to consult the manual about what temperature is recommended for your particular hair type. Use very small amounts of silk oil or any other finishing/straightening product. Use them too much, and you’ll literally cook your hair in all those oils and overheat your strands.
Even with all of the precautions nothing in life is 100% certain, so heat damage is always a possibility. Getting to know your hair inside and out certainly helps a lot. If you see that you have hair that’s prone to chemical or heat damage, exercise extreme caution while using them. Curly hair is very prone to damage since every curl is a soft spot where your hair can break after being flattened by force, using a flat or curling iron.
Getting to the list of the best of the best
And here we are. I made a list of some 10 heat protectants that have proven well in the past. 10 is a good, round number, so I decided to roll with it.
Let’s see what I have in store for you:
Paul Mitchell’s Heat Seal – It’s an excellent product that actually cooperates with your styling tool to keep your hair looking/feeling healthy and to help your style last longer. It’s a great picture of teamwork right there
Kiehl’s cream – This cream will just do wonders for your unruly hair. It will get you to those straight, sleek looking strands, no matter how frizzy, unruly or curly the starting point was
Tresseme’s Thermal Heat Tamer Spray – It won’t get your hair all brittle and dry, but will keep every strand in a perfect line
Chi Heat Protectant – Whether you’re a fan or user of Chi straightening tools, this product will blow you out of your socks. It will battle those brittle ends for you like they were nothing
Nexxus Heat Protectant – Here’s a true poster boy for double duty. It creates a protective barrier for your hair and repairs those split ends
Wella Heat Protectant – It protects your hair and hydrates it simultaneously
Pantene’s Heat Protector – This one goes out for all fine-haired ladies out there. This protector is formulated specially for fine hair protection. It will keep your fine hair looking healthy and smooth
Kerastraight Protectant – If you’re aiming for straight hair then this is the product for you. Straight styling is what this protectant is all about
Oscar Blandi heat protect spray – Excellent product! It has a very non-greasy feel to it, and it will make your hair look beautiful due to the keratin addition
Frizz-ease heat defeat – Oldie but goodie. Frizzy hair beware!
Just a quick word of caution. I didn’t put the products in any particular order, so don’t think that the last one is the worst or something like that. They’re all brilliant at what they do.
Hope you find my choices useful.