If you are reading this guide, it means that you are either a professional, or you are just a girl/woman prepared to splurge a little and pamper your hair with the best hair straightener money can buy.
And at this level, there’s no room for mistakes or compromises, you need to make sure you get perfection for you money. Let’s make sure that you do.
The rating methods I use on this site are statistical and, as such, completely objective and free of any bias. I never accept “samples” and the products listed got on this list of winners combining my experiences with the hair irons, that of my colleagues and user feedback.
So, let’s present the winners right of the gates and then dig deeper to see why they are where they are.
|Model||Read more||Overall Quality Rating||Picture|
|Paul Mitchell Protools Express Ionstyle||4.8 / 5|
|Redken Steam Infusion Salon Straightening Iron||4.7 / 5|
|GHD Professional Hair Styler||4.4 / 5|
|GHD Professional Styler (Midnight Gold Series)||4.8 / 5|
Letâ€™s see what makes every single one of these models tick. Weâ€™ll hear from the manufacturer, but, more importantly, the users that are “battle-testing” these products.
Let’s start with our current “king of the hill”…
Protools Express Ionstyle
Letâ€™s see what does the manufacturer has to share us about it’s product:
- Plates fused with Express Ion Complex for hair damage prevention and faster straightening
- Plates are infused with unique express silicone grips for faster styling, easier smoothing, exceptional shine and better control
- Heaters made of solid ceramic offer even heat distribution
- 1â€ plates with cushion
- Seamless smoothing provided by beveled edges
- Negative ions with super charge provide excellent flyaways and static control
Honestly, I would lie if I were to say I expected anything less from any Paul Mitchell product. Especially since I know and have used this particular one. But we have yet to see how this product faired with the customers and what their opinions is.
Some positive experiences – the PROs:
- Iâ€™ve had so many problems with flat irons since they constantly somehow changed the overall texture of my hair in the weirdest of ways! This Paul Mitchell came as a true blessing as it does none of that. It just does what itâ€™s expected to do, straighten my hair perfectly, no questions asked!
- Best hair straightener ever! I just love these plates! They glide perfectly down my hair without any hardships or pulling. And the results are simply amazing
- Itâ€™s a wonderful hairstyling instrument. It adds so much to my hair in terms of body, softness and shine, I honestly donâ€™t know how I got through a day without it
- Itâ€™s the first hair straightener that just gets my hair perfectly straight without doing a ton of damage to it in the process. Itâ€™s a curse when you have hair as fine as mine, and every little temperature spike spells disaster. Thatâ€™s why I know how to properly appreciate the constant temperature level this little guy provides
- Simply fabulous! My hair is veeeery thick and extremely coarse, so getting it straight and shiny is quite a challenge. This flat iron does it perfectly and leaves extra shine and incredible softness as a bonus
- Definitely worth the extra money spent! Itâ€™s the same flat iron my hairstylist uses, and now I know why
- It saves me so much time! It only takes me a couple of minutes to get my hair completely straight, and it stays that way until I wash it, which is also very important to me
- Iâ€™ve had this flat iron for 6 years before it finally died out on me. Iâ€™ve read a ton of hair straightener reviews before purchasing it again, but nothing came even close
Letâ€™s go over some of the CONs:
- The price is was a bit much for my budget. I knew I was going in over my head when I bought it, but considering how durable and great it is I know Iâ€™ll come out on top no matter what
- Iâ€™m not all too crazy about these silicone grips since I never used them before. Iâ€™m sure Iâ€™ll get used to them though…
Wrapping it up
Those of you who follow me know that I am a fan of Paul Mitchell products. And the Express Ionstyle is the one product on this list that I would be prepared even more, even though the price is already pretty steep, because I know how easier it made my life while I was working with this eye-candy.
The one star deducted is still for the price because of the way my rating system works – Overall Quality Rating of 4.8/5.
The customer feedback just confirmed what I already knew since this line of products is a hairstyling heaven. Again, the price is steep, but the sheer quality outmatches it several times over.
Steam Infusion Salon Straightening Iron
Manufacturerâ€™s intro – the fact sheet:
- Continuous high steam flow delivered throughout the whole hairâ€™s length
- Variable temperature; 5-settings thermostat (340-410F) suitable for all hair types and hair sensitivity degrees
- Separating comb is removable; consistent and even straightening due to easy hair positioning before entering between the plates
- Plates with double technology; optimal shine due to anodized coating, uniform plate pressure no matter the thickness
Before taking the plunge, you can also check what ladies who bought this model had to say about it on Amazon:
This is the sort of specification I like to see. Weâ€™re only given the info concerning the innovations weâ€™re faced with here, not the usual boring stuff. Letâ€™s move on and give our fellow customers a chance to elaborate on these hot new features.
Hereâ€™s what the users especially liked:
- Every single woman in my office canâ€™t believe the sudden change in my hair! This little wonder is the best hair straightener Iâ€™ve ever owned, and the changes were apparent the moment I started using it! Itâ€™s very well made, high-quality, and definitely worth the money!
- Iâ€™m two weeks short from graduating from beauty school, and even I canâ€™t believe how awesome this flat iron is. Iâ€™m completely done straightening my hair in less than a half time it used to take me, and I really enjoy the steam feature
- Boy, this thing gets hot! Itâ€™s just what the doctor ordered for my thick and incredibly coarse hair. And the results last until the next time I wash it, so I donâ€™t have to do it every single day
- It sits so well in my hand, and itâ€™s very easy to use. I use it as a curler also, and it does wonders making incredible locks. I donâ€™t know whatâ€™s up with these plates, but their doing something no other flat iron I owned did before and I love it!
- I donâ€™t need to blow dry my hair before straightening it anymore, which is such a time saver. It also leaves my hair so silky and smooth I just canâ€™t believe it!
- Finally, a flat iron that doesnâ€™t turn my hair into a brittle mess! I never knew it could be this soft, and donâ€™t even get me started on how shiny it isâ€¦
- It completely eliminates frizz! And my thick and curly disaster suddenly turns into a silky heaven straight out of fashion magazines!
Letâ€™s go over some of the negative sides:
- Itâ€™s a bit too heavy possibly, but Iâ€™ll manage. Considering the sheer bulk of amazing features I think Iâ€™ll survive J
- Ouch, that price! It really left a dent in my budget, but I just had to get it after so many of my friends and my own hairstylist recommended it. Itâ€™s naive to believe this kind of quality and performance could cost as your average Walmart disaster on a stick
Final thoughts and ratings
A solid 4.7/5 for this baby.
This is a model packed with ground breaking innovations in the field of hair-styling and it doesnâ€™t hide it. Itâ€™s made on top of your regular high-cost flat irons, and adds a lot extra.
The steam technology and plates optimized for perfection are the obvious ones, but youâ€™ll spend months rediscovering little things you like about this iron, constantly getting reminded why you decided to put in an extra buck for it.
Professional Hair Styler
Letâ€™s see what this GHD has to offer to justify the price tag:
- Latest heating technology
- Perfect for thick, long, coarse, or hair types that are simply hard to manage
- Worldwide usage possible due to universal voltage
- 9â€™ tangle-free swivel cord
You can follow this link to visit Amazon for more precious info from the owners:
Short and sweet without any hype and “big words”. In my experience, this usually means that the products does it’s own advertising.
But we do need more of an in-depth look if weâ€™re to justify the position this product has on the list.
The PROs – directly from the customers:
- This thing is the real deal! Iâ€™ve read all the hair straightener reviews I could find, and this flat iron really stood out. Itâ€™s so high-quality, and I think everybody owes one of these to their hair
- It heats up so fast, and straightens my hair perfectly in half the time it took my Chi to do it! The results are just amazing! Never was my hair so bone straight, shiny, and smooth. My husband canâ€™t keep his hands of it since itâ€™s sooo soft to the touch
- Best professional hair straightener I ever had! And, trust me Iâ€™ve been through my fair share of overpriced junk! Itâ€™s so easy to use and handles great when I do my curlingâ€¦ Also, the body of the iron doesnâ€™t heat up, so I donâ€™t have to watch where Iâ€™m putting my fingers all the time
- The thing that gives me that extra sense of security is the fact that I registered this product on the GHD website without any problems. With all the fakes lurking about itâ€™s good to know you have the real thing
- My hair is simply impossible to straighten, but these plates really make the difference. I was never completely satisfied with what I got from flat irons Iâ€™ve paid considerably more than this oneâ€¦ I didnâ€™t even know how beautiful my hair can be until I gave this baby a try
- 2 inch plates is what itâ€™s all about! I get amazing results in much less time than before. Mu hair is very long and thick, so straightening more of it at once saves me a lot of time and energy
- This is by far the best hair straightener I ever bought. Hair damage is nonexistent, and it also doesnâ€™t leave me with that awful burnt smell when Iâ€™m done
Letâ€™s go over some downsides:
- The only thing I can complain about is the price honestly…
- The design is a bit awkward and I can’t seem to get a solid grip…
- the handles cracked after just a few months of use, unacceptable for that price
The paramount forte of this product is its wide and efficient plates. Iâ€™ll leave out the renowned name of GHD behind, as weâ€™re interested in the product more than the manufacturer.
This GHD saves a lot of time by simply straightening more hair at once with the high-quality performance that comes with the price. Unfortunately, I’ve seen too many reports of people not being able to get used to the shape of the handles and a few reports of flawed plastic parts.
Not the best hair straightener on the list, but still a solid 4.4/5 rating
A big plus is that they do let you register the product immediately, so you can rest assured you wonâ€™t end up with a cheap knock-off. According to the customers, this flat iron really shines when put up against the hard to straighten hair types, which is simply a blessing for all of us with a thick, long, coarse and frizzy nightmares on our heads.
Professional Styler (Midnight Gold Series)
By GHDÂ Professional
Letâ€™s get straight to the basic product info from the GHD Company:
- Contoured plates and ceramic heaters
- Rounded barrel for waves, flicks, curls and straightening
- Universal voltage
- Auto sleep mode
- Includes two sectioning clips, styler pouch, and roll mat thatâ€™s heat resistant
You can bet you’ll find a lot more goodies on Amazon to help you with your decision:
It sounds like we have everything we need to even consider putting this product through the public opinion of our customers.
Here are some of the things they liked:
- The packaging is beautiful! Really gives off a feeling of a luxurious product. The content doesnâ€™t clack behind also
- My hair is very thin and prone to heat damage. This is the best hair straightener to deal with my problem, as it really gives me full control over the temperature Iâ€™m subjecting my hair to
- Thank god for auto shut-off! I forget things all the time, and this little feature is a true lifesaver!
- Heats up lightning fast, and it really HEATS UP! Itâ€™s exactly what my thick and overly coarse hair needs. It does the straightening part like a champ, and adds so much shine and silky softness to it, I canâ€™t even recognize my disaster of a hair anymore
- With all those hair straightener reviews Iâ€™ve read itâ€™s no wonder I picked the best possible option. Itâ€™s exactly as all those other customers reported and better
- It really puts my mind at easy how I can simply register what I bought and be sure itâ€™s the real thing Iâ€™ve got
- It keeps my hair very healthy and looking beautifully. Thereâ€™s no overheating or poor heat distribution whatsoever, and universal voltage is a must for me since I travel to Europe very often for business
The CONs as per the users:
- The overall shape of this flat iron took some time to get used to, but I used my old Paul Mitchell for so long itâ€™s no wonder the feeling was weird for the first couple of uses
- I got this iron and I feel like I had much better options for that kind of cash, it is gorgeous but not so practical or fast…
Rating the GHD gold
Iâ€™ve saved the most luxurious option for last. This GHD straightener just has this aura about it that draws people in desperate need of a flashy, yet high-quality hair-styling product.
Flashy, top-notch packaging has taught us a thing or two in the past (caution about the product above all), but this time around itâ€™s different. The sheer number of positive reviews and satisfied customers all around the world paints a complete picture.
The main strength of this product is its incredible versatility, as it really is a Jack-of-all-trades. When we pair that up with a high-quality performance reported by the customers and the top level manufacturing processâ€¦I think we have our explanation of how the ghd Midnight collection got to this list in the first place and why it’s stubbornly staying there.
Are these irons worth that kind of money?
I am a professional and I can tell you that if you did decide to spend the extra bucks you will not look back. Once you get your hands on some these babies and all the issues that come with using a cheaper option are just a haze in your memory, you’ll forget about the money spent.
Again, if you can afford it, it’s worth it. But be prepared for some envious looks from your girlfriends.
Stay in touch by emailing me about your experiences or by simply using the comment section below.