The winner in this category is actually not from this category has been dominating it for 3 updates now.
I know the materials, and I know the cost of production of these babies and this price range is the sweet spot where it becomes feasible to make a truly high-quality hair straightener.
In the price range below this one, finding a good hair iron is a much more tedious task.
Without much ado, this is another category where the HSI professional has been taking the spoils in every update for almost a year now. It has been voted:
- “best hair straightener overall”
- “best price”
- “top rated in quality”
The HSI is a rare beast in terms of price/quality ratio.
OK, enough chit chat, let’s present all the currently top rated hair straighteners in this price range.
Now that you’ve seen them and the mystery is gone, let’s take a look at each one of these in depth in our mini reviews.
Before we do that , if you are a first-time reader welcome to the trenches and let me explain what you can expect.
For each hair iron, we’ll do a digest review by:
- taking a look at what the company is saying about it’s product
- taking a look what the customers had to say – the PROs and CONs
- I’ll provide the final overall rating and explain it
It is a somewhat slow process of compiling these reviews, especially since I update them every two months, but the result is splitting real-deal products from your average over-priced junk.
Ok, let’s get to work…
HSI Professional TOURMALINE STRAIGHTENER – Argan oil protection
- patented quick heating and even distribution technology
- LCD digital temperature control
- Sleep mode and auto shut-off
- A touch of a button heats it up to a temperatures in the range of 240 to 450 degrees F in seconds
- swivel cord for easy-use
I give you just glimpses of what the customers shared with us on Amazon:
That was certainly a mouthful and an example of a good product specification, but let us move on to the “meat” – what customers are saying about the product:
Chosen PROs – what the customers liked:
- Awesome little package at a great price! I also got a very handy glove that’s heat-resistant and a sample of Argan oil
- The LCD display is amazing. I can always keep the temperature under control, which is a very big deal when your hair is as fine and delicate as mine. Plus, it’s not so ill-positioned as to not be visible like on some other models I’ve owned
- I really like the positioning of the buttons! They’re “hidden” on the inside of the straightener, so I never accidentally turn the whole thing off in the middle of getting my hair done
- It’s very thin and sleek-looking, but much more powerful than any other flat iron I’ve ever tried. The heat is very intense, and it takes me considerably less time to straighten my coarse hair than ever before
- After drying, my hair becomes puffy beyond belief, and this flat iron combined with HSI hairspray really did a number on it! No frizz, not a second wasted, and the end results are just amazing. Best hair straightener ever!
- It’s a very light piece of my every day’s hair equipment, looks pretty sharp with some fine lines, and, most importantly gets the job done like a pro. It also feels very stable and natural in my hand, and doesn’t heat up anywhere near my fingers. That’s a load off considering my past “hot” experiences!
- The speed on this thing… I usually had to wait around 5 minutes for my previous flat irons to reach their maximum temperature; here it’s in the ballpark of 30 seconds! It saves me time day after day, and does amazing job with my thick, frizzy hair. Wouldn’t trade it for the world!
Let’s see what the customers didn’t like:
- The LCD display is on the inner side, which can be somewhat tricky, but it’s no big deal once you get used to it
Overall Rating of the hair iron
Over the years of reviewing hair irons I’ve learned to recognize a true flaw from a subjective opinion of individual users that’s not universally applicable. The fact that I decided that only one “CON” is meaningful enough to be included in the review of the HSI speaks volumes.
Overall Quality Rating of 4.9/5 is pretty much as close to perfect as it gets (I’ve rated a hair iron with a perfect 5 in all these years).
The main forte here is how shortly after turned on it reaches its maximum temperature (which is nothing to sneeze at). It’s built for efficiency and speed, according to the customers, but without lacking in other important departments.
Its sleek design matches the overall theme and makes it easy to handle and “quick on its feet”. Even customers with the thickest and coarsest of hairs report amazing results, which is quite enough (paired with what we’ve heard so far) for me to find its place on my list more than justified.
Classic Flat Iron
Let’s jump right in and see what this flat iron is all about:
- Imbued with the technology of ceramic fusion
- Flash heating
- Adjustable heat control (170-400 degrees Fahrenheit)
Read more about this ceramic fusion model on Amazon and keep an eye out for special offers:
So, this is one of those “keep it basic” product specifications. Not really a hindrance when you have volumes of user reviews to paint an accurate picture.
Here are some of the things they liked:
- It arrived even earlier than it was supposed to, and the overall quality is through the roof!
- It’s the best hair straightener, and the only one that got my hair into its “straight” mode successfully. Fly-aways, frizz, and other problems that used to torment me on a daily basis are gone for good!
- It turns my hair into silk! Heats up super fast, and the temperature is strong enough to deal with my coarse hair like a boss! Much better than my old Chi!
- It’s the first hair iron that doesn’t pull my hair when I’m trying to straighten it. Ceramic plates are just a dream, and they glide through my hair perfectly. I found this little miracle when I switched salons, and the hairstylist in the new one used one of these. It recommended I got one for myself, and I can’t thank him enough now that I’ve tried it
- Even though the heat is pretty serious, it leaves no burn damage when I’m done, and there’s no smell of burnt hair either. Also, my hair never looked more amazing! It’s shiny, very soft, and bone straight until I wash it. Thank you HAI!
- The handling is perfect, it’s very easy to use, and I especially like how lightweight the whole construction is. The plates clip on my hair well without too much pressure on my part, and the end result is out of this world. Best hair straightener ever!
- After so many positive reviews this hair straightener had, I just had to get it. It’s ways away from anything I’ve used so far, so I guess it pays off trusting the internet once in a while
Let’s go over some CONs:
- I really like this flat iron, but I would’ve liked it much more if it had the automatic shut-down
- I had a problem with the red light that just kept on blinking! I had to replace it, but the customer support guys were more than forthcoming, so kudos for them. The new one I got works perfectly
Final thoughts and ratings
Even thought it’s just a tad over 50 bucks, this hair iron scored a 4 in the categories of price and quality. But still, a solid 4.6 Overall Rating.
Minimalistic approach can be right on the money if done by properly, I guess. This is a vision of your everyday go-to hair straightener, and the users seem to acknowledge that.
What this product brings to the table is a steady flow of intense heat, quick heating up time, great ease of use, lightweight, and, most importantly, amazing end results. This “no beating around the bush with fancy and often unnecessary options” policy really struck a cord with most customers.
Rusk Professional Flat Iron – RSK 732
Here are some basic product facts:
- Ceramic titanium-infused plates
- Insta and steady temperature building (up to 450 degrees F)
- Digital heat display
- Swivel cord (9ft)
Titanium plates definitely deserve a bit of additional reading and info.You’ll get even more than you’ve bargained for from its dedicated section on Amazon:
Did I just hear titanium get mentioned? It’s something of a miracle talking about titanium in this particular price range, but I guess we’ve been very good this past year J Still, we should see what the users have to share with us in terms of good and bad experiences.
Here are some of the good ones:
- My African American very think and long hair is a complete nightmare for styling, or simply for making it look halfway decent. This flat iron was used by my stylist, and after I bought it, I figured out I can do wonders with my hair from my own home! Never was my hair so straight and shiny. Super softness to the touch is just an added bonus
- It reaches the indicated temperature in less than one minute, and it gets really hot, just as I read it would. So far, it’s the best hair straightener I’ve ever used, and it’s been like a week since I have it
- Thank god for this flat iron! My hair is suuuper fine, and I really need a high-quality plates to avoid damage. These plates are out of this world! They slide down my hair with ease, without tugging or pulling on the strands. The temperature control is very exact, so I can adjust it just the way I want, and I know I won’t end up with half my hair burnt off
- The reviews of this hair straightener I’ve read online really made some big shoes to fill. People were praising it left and right, which was contraindicative to its low price. Now that I have it, I don’t know how can the company sell it for this much money and still come out on top, considering the sheer quality this flat iron is imbued with
- I like the overall design and how lightweight it is. It’s very sleek and sits very well in my hand, which gives me more ability to maneuver it around, especially during my curling sessions. Swivel cord comes in very handy too, as I have yet to have a tangling issue of some sort with it
- Definitely worth far more money than what I paid for it!
- The plates are phenomenal! I can really see the difference between my regular ceramic plates and these! The heat is distributed more evenly, so there are no hot spots, they glide with ease through my hair, and the shine they leave after I’m done is simply unparalleled
Some not so pleasant experiences coming our way:
- The only caveat is the absence of the auto shut-off function, so be sure you don’t forget to unplug it
- There was a mix up with my order, I guess, so I ended up getting the wrong item. I returned it, and now I’m waiting for my actual order to get here
This flat iron balances between style/sophistication on one side, and brutal efficiency on the other. It’s made to be the most glamorous version of a budget hair straightener, and according to the customers, succeeded with flying colors. It’s a rare piece to feature titanium addition to the plates in this price range, which certainly helps distributing the heat better and keeping it steady throughout the process.
Furthermore, salon intensity temperature combined with precise heat control, long swivel cord, lightweight, and a great digital display is what gave this flat iron so much edge over the competition.
Proline Hair Straightener
By EV Beauty
The fact sheet:
- Professional results save hassle and time
- Smart design for ultimate versatility. 450F of adjustable temperature, no cold spots, dual voltage
- 1” ceramic-tourmaline ion plates
- Highest quality construction and materials; 1-year warranty
This is a very shortened version of manufacturer’s specification, but I pulled out only the important stuff, holding back the marketing. Let’s filter this some more through experiences of fellow customers.
We’ll start with what the customers liked about this flat iron:
- Best hair straightener I’ve ever encountered! I don’t know if mine’s defective or something, but it heat up completely in about 5 seconds!!! I’m a daily user my entire life almost, and never did I see something like this!
- This really is a professional quality, so the price-quality ratio is so much in my favor it’s not even funny
- The results are something else… My hair is shiny like never before, and so silky and soft to the touch, I can’t stop playing with it. Great buy, and I recommend it to all those daily users out there, it’s definitely worth the money!
- The size is just perfect! It’s not too small as to prolong my straightening process indefinitely, but it’s also just small enough to allow me for better root access. That was my number one issue with my previous flat iron, and this model was just what the doctor ordered
- I like how ergonomic it is and how well it sits in my hand. I can see they really put some thought into the overall design, and I for one know how to respect a good effort when I see one. The price is nothing compared with what you get, so I can freely recommend it to everyone
- Finally, something that gets rid of my uber-frizz permanently!
- This flat iron really looks the part of a product much more expensive than it actually is. The outlook, the performance, the sleek design… It’s all on a much higher lever than the price indicates
- No damage whatsoever, even on higher than regular temperatures for my problematic hair. There’s also no burning smell after I’m done
- The cord is very thick, so there’s no worrying it’ll tear or something
Let’s go over some CONs for a good measure:
- The only complaint I can muster up so far is the placement of the temperature dial and the power button
- There was some plastic smell the first time I turned it on, but it was gone after half an hour or so
This is one of those puzzling, futuristic-looking pieces of hairstyling equipment. Puzzling in terms of how much quality it offers for a very affordable amount of cash. I see I share my confusion with most of the customers we’ve just heard. But, I guess not all puzzles are made to be solved, we should just enjoy this amazing product without too much dabbling into its inner workings.
Overall Quality Rating of 4.6/5.
Conclusions of the hair straightener reviews
We do have a clear winner here and it’s been that way for a long time now. The other irons are great product but what makes the difference is the huge discounts HSI have been throwing about for months now and for reasons undisclosed.
I hope you find the guide helpful and please, feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.