If your hair is thin, choice of a good hair straightener for your hair type becomes twice as complicated and three times as important. And if you choose wrong, you can pay the “ultimate” price of burning your hair beyond repair.
This is the 6th (bi-monthly) update to this guide. Out of those 12 months, the HSI professional has spent 8 on the very top, including the last three updates.
Both our featured testers and experts (my peers and colleagues) voted it to be:
- best hair straightener for thin hair overall
- the product with the best price
I believe the second one gives the HSI the edge over the other products. It started dominating many categories on my website since they dropped the price.
It’s a professional quality hair iron for the price of a home-use one. And who wouldn’t want that?
The only problem is that it goes out of stock so often. It’s either the company can’t meet the market demand after they dropped the price or the iron is being discontinued and what they’re selling is old stock.
I am still looking into that.
But let’s get back to our guide, present the top 3 best-rated hair straighteners for thin hair and take a deeper look “behind the curtains” of these products:
|Model||Read more||Type||Overall Quality Rating||Picture|
|HSI ceramic professional ionic hair straightener + freebies||Home Use||4.9 / 5|
|Sleekheat450 Professional Flat Iron||Pro||4.6 / 5|
|TS-2 Millennium Professional Flat Iron||Home Use||4.8 / 5|
If you are ready to find out which one is best hair straightener for your thin and fine hair, join me as we take a closer look at each of these products.
This is what we are going to do in our guide:
- Look at the summary of features – the fact sheet
- Look at what people who tried the flat irons in question are saying about each and every one of the products
- I voice my suggestions and opinions about the products and explain their Overall rating
I know you must be wondering if listening to my advice is a good idea and asking yourself is this is a waste of time. So let’s cut through the clutter of confusion where you might be now and find that one hair straightener that’s best for your fine and thin hair.
HSI ceramic professional ionic hair straightener + freebies (glove, pouch, Argan oil)
People at HSI stress that their product:
- comes with free HSI Argan Oil, a pouch and a glove
- features extra durable plates – 1″ thick
- narrow plates to style your bangs perfectly
- the materials used increase ion output and speed up the process
- Apart The iron (apart from straightening) can be used for both curling and flipping hair as well
- All h adjustable temperature from gentle 240F to aggressive 410F to suit different hair types
The ladies that bought this model had a lot more to say about it on Amazon:
Here is what some users had to say:
- This is the best iron I’ve ever had
- for such an affordable price this is a quality product…
- Came with a little trial Argan oil and glove, loving the details…
- I put it to the test with my hair. It is super curly, but when I shower and just kind of let it go, or sleep on it (like I did today), it tends to be even more difficult to straighten. This flat iron took a little longer to heat up compared to my old CHI, but once it did it only took a run or two down each section before it was smooth.
- I was pleasantly surprised to see the digital temperature display
- It works really well on my hair, I only have to take it through my hair one time and it is completely straight
- I am very pleased with the seller’s customer service and would still recommend this product to others.
- This flat iron gets my hair bone straight with its heat and leaves a silky shine touch that helps blend my natural with the weave
- Very affordable
- I am pleased with the speed of delivery, plus the way the items were presented
- it takes a shorter time for me to straighten my hair with this flat iron then it did with my previous one that I replaced
- The plates are of high quality. Very sturdy. Smooth. I can tell they are very hard and also they FLOAT. This is an IMPORTANT feature ladies and Gents who consider their hair their crowning glory.
- Planning to buy a second one for Christmas for my mom
- The ON/OFF button and temperature turn dial are located below the inner ceramic plates and I love it, because this I’ safe from changing the settings by mistake
- It exceeded my expectations and I would definitely recommend it
- Makes hair silky soft
Users also had some negative feedback about the HSI Professional’s product:
- Just be careful where you sit it while you’re using it or while it’s cooling down, because it gets hot very fast…
- No auto shutoff timer
- I was disappointed that it didn’t work in Europe like everyone said it would. It barely even got warm. So I lugged this thing around in my backpack for two weeks with messy hair because I couldn’t style it.
Clearly, this flat iron is a best-seller. And the customer experiences explain why.
Perhaps it wouldn’t be the best option if you travel a lot around the world, to Europe or Asia, since some of the users had problems with power conversion.
Again, if you are prone to breaking things, this might be the choice for you since they have an excellent customer service, which is definitely not something to disregard.
Overall Quality Rating 4.9/5.
When we sum it up, HSI PROFESSIONAL 1 CERAMIC TOURMALINE IONIC FLAT IRON HAIR STRAIGHTENER turns out to be more than a decent choice of straightener for thin and flat hair. And at the current price, it is a steal.
Sleekheat450 Professional Flat Iron
The basic info as provided by Solano:
- gently glides through your hair
- heats evenly while styling
- made of ceramic
- provides salon quality looks
- The Solano Sleekheat450 Professional Flat Iron features cool touch tips
- additional smoothness and shine ensured by the tourmaline finish of the plates
- Fly-aways are minimized
- temperature span – 170°F to 450°F
- improved moisture features
What the customers had to share:
- Worth the investment
- Heats up fast
- Greatly reduces frizz
- When I style my hair, it stays in place for days after
- My hair is natural and I had trouble getting my hair straight without the frizzies, but this flat iron straightens to the ends and gives the hair body
- Nice piece of equipment to have
- It is light in weight and handles easily
- The smoothing effect is fantastic and it curls well too
- Doesn’t pull my hair
- Doesn’t burn your fingertips, and I had that problem with my previous two hair irons
- Adjustable heat for different hair types
- The best part is that they come with a two year warranty
- The one I received seems used
- The temperatures fluctuate, I burned my ends with this hair iron…and it was supposed to be a high-end product…
- The only issue is a slight odor that is annoying
- Not very affordable, in my book, it’s overpriced…
- I have to go over the piece of hair I used at least 2 or 3 times in order for it to be straight
Conclusions and Ratings
Clearly, our #2 is different than the first one. Priced close to $200, it’s 4 times more expensive.
But is it worth it? According to some of the customers, it is.
My opinion? Not really.
To me, it seems like the Jack of all trades and a master of none.
But what sealed it for me is seeing one too many reports of temperature fluctuation, which can be very dangerous for people with fine and thin hair. I do believe that these are probably flukes and issues of specific items, but at this price point, that should NOT happen.
Overall quality Rating 4.6/5 – a good product but, in my opinion, not worth the investment.
TS-2 Millennium Professional Flat Iron
The TS-2 Millennium Professional Flat Iron is described as:
- Only 1.1 pound light
- This straightener features a 9 ” swivel cord
- With 60 minutes autos shut offs, it provides safety and prolongs the product’s usage life
- The temperature can be controlled by a precisely programmed option
- It also has 1 inch Nano reflect titanium plates
- In only 30 seconds, this flat iron will reach its full heat potential
If going in-depth is your cup of tea, you can visit Amazon for a lot of additional goodies on this model:
But let’s get to the substance, the user opinions.
We’ll start with the PROs:
- The 9″ cord is incredibly handy. It’s on a swivel base and thus it doesn’t get tangled and twisted as you use it.
- I think it’s very reasonably priced.
- The style of it is simple and contemporary
- The cord is reinforced at the connection and swivels
- This iron is comfortable to hold
- Heats up quickly, maintains high heat and leaves your hair straight and smooth
- I can use this to add some body to my hair and some fullness
- It was shipped fast and I got it in time
- There is a screen that indicates the temperature the iron is set at
- The titanium plates smoothly glided over my hair and left the strands straight the first time
- The shape of the straightener allows you to get really close to your roots
- It is very durable
- I’ve never, EVER used a flat iron that is this nice and easy to use
- This flat iron is very sleek looking
- I do love that it heats up quickly and seems to cool pretty quickly too
- This is the second TS2 to die on me in the last 3 months. I replaced the first one and now this one won’t even turn on. Very disappointed…
- Not what I was expecting, feels light and cheap…
- I do wish the auto shut off feature was adjustable instead of taking a FULL HOUR of non use before it turns off
- Essentially the product refers to Fahrenheit in packaging, but the display is in Celsius, as if it wasn’t designed for the US market, but has been repackaged to sell her. Not a real big deal, once you know your settings.
- I hope you don’t mind digital controls
Overall Rating of the TS2
It seems like this straightener is also running strong. Especially with the “confident” price they’ve set.
That makes me think. Is this product possibly the combination of two, the affordable and premium? Or is it just overpriced?
I would put it this way – I believe that the TS2 is about as good as the Solano we have on the list, but more affordable.
Overall Rating 4.8/5.
Is that enough for you to believe the product? I don’t know.
Before we conclude
Let’s take a step back and summarize our issues. Thin hair is very problematic if you want a clean and straight look, not because it is not pretty or healthy, but because it can burn more easily when being straightened by a flat iron. Damage done to thin hair during exposure to high heat can be devastating.
I have the same problem myself. My hair is beautiful (yes, humble, I know :)), but when it comes to using curlers or irons, it used to get damaged. I used to hate myself for doing it and I couldn’t admit the mistakes because my reputation was at stake. I didn’t know what went wrong in spite of my experience.
However, I got smarter, went out, talked to other people who had or worked with the same hair type and asked them how they manage to get the fine hair so straight and not ruin it for good.
That was years ago and today, I know better. It’s all about the choice of a hair straightener and heat protectants.
Now, after finally taking a closer look at all of the three choices for the best flat iron for thin and fine hair, I hope that you feel closer to your new favorite toy.
I won’t tell you to change your mind if you had already made it. Good for you. It is important to make choices yourself. Also, I wouldn’t like to feel responsible if I changed your mind, and they you turned out to be dissatisfied with the product. I am here just to facilitate the process.
However, if you are still clueless about what to get and how to make your hair look pretty night after night, my suggestion would be the HSI Professional 1 ceramic tourmaline ionic flat iron. It’s being praised by everyone who uses it. It has reached mass production and the company is making the name for itself.
Invest cleverly and care of yourselves and your hair,