It’s been almost a year now since we started this category as per users request. In the last 5 updates to this guide the HSI hair straightener has been voted to be:
- best hair straightener for normal hair
- best priced in the category
The only issue that we continue to see with the winner in this category is that (probably because of the price) it’s often unavailable.
Before we move on to take a closer look at each of the 3 top rated hair straighteners for normal hair, let’s see the list and their ratings.
|Model||Read more||Type||Overall Quality Rating||Picture|
|HSI Professional 1 Tourmaline Hair Straightener||Home Use||4.9 / 5|
|TS-2 Millennium Flat Iron||Home Use||4.8 / 5|
|Remington S9520 Salon Collection Ceramic Hair Straightener||Home Use||4.5 / 5|
Now that you have glanced at these three lifesavers in the jungle of a market, letâ€™s give each of them some more attention, so you can get better acquainted with one of your future best friends.
Think of it as the season finale to the Bachelorette, only you would be choosing a flat iron you would be spending most of your life with.
What we’ll do in this guide is:
- Summarize what each company is saying about their hair straightener.
- Look at what other happy or dissatisfied customers are saying about each product and take their words into consideration.
- You will get my 100% honest opinion about each product we are reviewing today. Hopefully that we will be of some help in your choice making.
Anyway, letâ€™s meet our winner and the two runner-ups, shall we?
HSI Professional 1 Tourmaline Hair Straightener + Glove, Pouch & Travel Size Argan Oil Treatment (leave in) included (FREE)
HSI fact sheet states that:
- The iron can be efficiently used in several different ways, for curling, straightening or flipping your hair
- You can precisely adjust the temperature to what suits your hair type best
- This flat iron can make beautiful hairdos out of frizzy and unattractive hair
- The plates are one inch thick for added durability
- The voltage is adjustable
- The plates are just narrow enough to help you with those disobedient bangs
- These ceramic/tourmaline ion plates are so revolutionary that they make getting ready much shorter than it used to be
- If you order this hair straightener, you are getting an additional pouch and a glove free of charge
- Comes with a sample of a sample of HSI Argan Oil
Click here to see what owners are saying on Amazon.com >>>
This all sounds pretty good, especially having the price in mind, but we need to aware that this in not the “meat” of our review – it’s the opinions of people that use it.
Let’s see what they said:
- My wife says it was easy to use and she got apparent professional results doing it herself.
- I really loved how good they straightened and curled. They gave me beautiful curls and when I wanted my hair straight and it straightened right up.
- By far these are the best flat irons I’ve ever had.
- They didnâ€™t burn my hair or leave that burnt smell. I plan on purchasing from them in the future.
- Ironed quickly and efficiently
- I received my item in two days.
- Took away frizz and worked on my stubborn hair quickly
- I am an African American with medium long hair that is kinky/curly and thick after using this flat iron along with the argon oil my hair is left shiny soft and incredibly healthy looking and soft to the touch
- I used it to curl my hair and I have to say it works better than a curling iron. I love it!
- The plates are smooth and well constructed, no hair-pulling whatsoever…
- Not ONE of my hairs was ripped out in the plates
- Swiveling cord so no tangles/twists
- If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, this flat iron is the one to choose
- No burnt smell
- I give this flat iron a five star because for such an affordable price this is a quality product
- Did not snag or tug at my hair
- This came in a timely fashion. The extras (glove, oil, pouch) much appreciated
Clearly, that is a long list of positive experiences, and these are chosen carefully out of thousands more.
Letâ€™s see what the negative ones had to say:
- My review was about the iron not getting hot enough and was not working properly (my hair would not stay straight). The next day after I contacted them. I got an email from Jessica from customer service department letting me know that she had read the review and she told me itâ€™s very unusual but I must have received a defective one. I’m still waiting for the replacement…
- I was close to sending it back because I couldn’t turn it on, so I forgot about it for a couple of days. Then I decided to give it one more shot. The reset button was hard to press. But once I got it going it heated up very fast and my hair stayed straight for two days after.
- I bought this for my wife for Christmas. She tried it the same day. Apparently I didn’t know she wanted it a certain heat. It only gets to 410 degrees she likes 450, which I had no clue about because I’m a guy…they could’ve done a better job of describing the item…
My personal summary and Overall Rating
With the 1000s of reviews on Amazon and with most of them being positive, we are starting to get a clear picture about why this iron has been on top for almost a year now.
Overall Quality Rating 4.9/5.
Its number one advantage to me seems to be that is doesnâ€™t pull your hair. And we all know how important that is. Imagine getting traumatized every day by an appliance just because you want to look your best.
Another big forte is its unparalleled speed, both when it comes to heating up and the straightening.
The CONs here are not as strong and universal for me to find a true quality issue. Most of the negatives are, in my opinion, subjective and clearly individual cases – people who got efficient help from the customer service, which, again, is recommendable.
Again, while it’s priced this low, it’s a true bargain.
Off to the next one…
TS-2 Millennium Flat Iron (Professional)
Basic info from the company:
- Heats up rapidly in just 30 seconds
- 9 feet swivel cord
- This product features 1 inch Nano reflect titanium plates
- The temperature control is programmable
- Weighs only 1.1 pounds
- It has a safety and longevity feature, with 60 minutes autos hut offs
You can check out more user-ratings and prices on Amazon:
Follow this link to visit its page >>
Again, sounds good, but let’s move on to see what the customers are saying – starting with the PROs:
- Right off the bat this flat iron comes with a 3 year warranty!
- I was looking for a new flat iron to replace my expensive brand name one that broke in a million pieces when it was dropped. I feel like I found one of the best irons out there with the TS-2 Millennium Professional Flat Iron
- I have to say after using these, I said goodbye to the salon
- It is lightweight and the swivel cord makes it easy to use from any angle
- This product has so far been awesome and sweet to use
- The swivel cord makes angling simple.
- Another great feature for travelers is the DUAL VOLTAGE ability
- The Nano plates feel so silky smooth
- This iron heats up really quickly and has a nice range of temperature (235Â°F to 450Â°F), which is both lower and higher than my old iron
- The rounded top makes it possible to get closer to the roots than most flat irons
- There were no fly away hairs and it felt silky smooth
- TS-2 has adjustable heat control. It’s light weight and the smooth, flush heating elements create NO drag or snagging on the hair
- The mirror plates make for one smooth glide, and the surface being anti-bacterial is a big plus for me…
- I love the fact that it heats to a high temperature, but does not cause the hair to smoke when used
- It’s slick, easy to handle with well balanced weight, has programmable temperature control.
- It heats up quickly and indicates when the iron has heated up. It also has a good range of temperatures
- It simply puts the other irons that we have to shame.
Now letâ€™s take a look at the CONs:
- One thing that was a minor peeve: the digital read-out for the temperature is in Celsius. The product heats to 450 degrees F but the read out will be in Celsius. Not a bother for other countries but not so much for myself born and raised in America. The conversion isn’t second nature in our household.
- Longer than any iron I previously owned, it does have a better reach than most but not the best choice for travelling
- The only thing I don’t love is that I sometimes turn it off accidentally due to it having a button instead of a switch…
- Mine arrived with a crack on the upper handle…
My opinion and final ratings
This hair straightener is somewhat different than the HSI. That doesnâ€™t make it clearly better or worse. It’s more accurate to say that it’s suiting a different sort of a customer.
Final overall rating 4.8/5.
It is clearly a great piece to own if you tend to get ready in a hurry. Perhaps you are way-to-busy with your job or family to have too much time for doing your hair, or you are a young urbanite living a hectic life who wants a perfect hairdo in just a jiffy.
It is clearly not the right choice for those who cannot get used to temperature in Celsius, which is a shame, since that is the only relative â€œdrawbackâ€ this flat iron has.
Remington S9520 Salon Collection Ceramic Hair Straightener (wide pearl-infused plates)
What the company says – the fact sheet:
- Reaches up to 450 degree high heat previously available only in salons
- Contains up to 15 times ceramic the competition is offering in their similar products
- Features the pearl ceramic technology which ensures you get the smoothest salon-like finish know
- Boasts an automatic shut-off system
- It beats its competitorâ€™s rival by 8 times smoother glide
See what the girls using it had to say on Amazon >>
With this very ambitious and confident description, I couldn’t wait to see what real users of the product had to say and whether it is compatible with the companyâ€™s statement. Let us get to that.
- The results I got from this straightener were awesome! I got my hair done within 30 minutes, compared to an hour I use to spend with other straighteners. It heats up very quickly and gets the job done quickly too
- The hair moves smoothly and quickly through the iron, no snags or pulls. Hair is smooth and frizz free
- The guide that comes with it tells you which temps are good for different types of hair so you don’t damage your hair
- I am leaving for Europe on Friday and it is world voltage meaning I can use it overseas
- A swivel cord allows for easy movement all around the head
- This one does the job in minutes
- When using the straightener to curl my hair, my hair held shape and the straightener created the most lovely natural looking waves
- The instruction book was clear and concise and the product itself was pleasantly intuitive
- My hair quickly straightened and held the shape
- My hair is thick, curly/wavy and gets frizzy very easily, plus it never looks shiny. I quickly ran this through my hair and my hair looks BEAUTIFUL
- The iron heats up quickly and allows for subtle variances in temperature
- I can even manage to look like I have healthy, shiny hair using this
- I guess you get what you pay for, this iron died on me after only 3 months…
- The handle lock is a little stiff…
- Leaves some volume: while this may be a plus for somebody with thinner hair
- The digital display is not easy to read, not the best design…
Clearly, Remington is a big name in beauty products and electronics, from hair dryers to some of the best leg shaver made. There is no denying it. And for those who prefer to buy a brand name, this will mean something.
If you are all about the heat and speed, this product might be for you, since it reaches the highest heat mark in seconds.
It is rated lowest of the 3 – 4.5/5, but it’s still one of the three best hair irons for normal hair.
In contrast to the HSI, this product was made to be quality for a budget. You should bear that in mind when making a decision.
It’s becoming increasingly hard to writing these final thoughts without sounding biased since “the reign” of the HSI started.
But there is no way around it, yet again, the HSI is the superior product and there’s no way around it. And while the other two flat irons might be better suited for specific niches of the market, the HSI still provides the biggest bang for your buck.
If you have questions or thoughts, don’t hesitate to share them in the comments or by emailing me from the contact page.
Stay pretty and choose wisely,